Cookbook:Buñuelos (Sweet Fried Pastry)
|Buñuelos (Sweet Fried Pastry)|
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of Mexico | Tex-Mex cuisine
Buñuelos are a type of Latin-American fried pastry.
- 5 eggs
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl combine eggs with ¼ cup sugar, and beat until thick and lemon-colored. Add the oil.
- Combine 1 ½ cups of the flour, the baking powder, and the salt. Gradually add this to the egg mixture and beat well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured board (use remaining ½ cup flour) and knead thoroughly until dough is smooth.
- Shape dough into 16 balls. Roll each one into a circle about 5 inches (13 cm) in diameter. Let stand uncovered on waxed paper for about 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan to 350°F (175°C). Fry dough circles until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the cinnamon and 1 cup sugar. Sprinkle fried dough with sugar/cinnamon mixture. Store in an airtight container.