Traditional Irish fried potato cakes.
Boxty on the griddle,
Boxty in the pan,
If you can't make boxty,
You'll never get your man.
- an old Irish rhyme
- Take half of the potatoes and wash, peel, chunk, and boil them.
- Mash the boiled potatoes with milk and 1 tablespoon butter and set them aside.
- Grate the other pound of (raw) potatoes into a strong cloth.
- Squeeze cloth to remove all possible liquid from the raw potatoes.
- Mix together the grated potatoes, the mashed potatoes, baking soda, buttermilk, flour, and black pepper (to taste).
- Stir thoroughly to combine.
- Warm nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat and melt butter.
- Pour potato cakes on griddle, ¼ cup at a time.
- Fry until edges are soft and cake is bubbling.
- Cook on other side.
- Serve hot.