Flapjacks in the United Kingdom (not to be confused with the American pancakes also called flapjacks) are a type of bar made using rolled oats, butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup. They're great for packed lunches and the like. This is a simple version with no fruit or raisins added. Try serving with whipped cream or with melted chocolate to dip.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F or Gas Mark 2).
- Place the sugar, butter, and golden syrup together in a medium saucepan and heat until the butter has melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the oats.
- Press the mixture out over the base of a lightly-greased 7½-inch (19 cm) square baking tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 40 minutes.
- When baked, allow to cool in the tin for 10–15 minutes before cutting into oblong bars.
- Leave until cold before removing the flapjacks from the tin, then store in an airtight container.