Cookbook:Basic Bread Dough
|Basic Bread Dough|
|Time||1 ¼ - 3 hours|
This recipe makes a little more dough than enough for a 1-pound loaf of bread. It is intended to be kneaded in a bread machine, and baked in an oven.
warm water (heated for about 40 seconds in the microwave) 1 cup 237 86.5% sugar 2 teaspoons (10 mL) 8.4 3.07% salt 1 teaspoon (5 mL) 6 2.19% high-gluten (strong) flour (bread flour in the U.S.) 2 cups 274 100% active dry yeast [note 2] 1-4 teaspoon (5-20 mL) 4-16 1.46-5.84% honey 1 tablespoon 7-21 2.55-7.66% Formula 536.4-562.4 195.77-205.26%
- Add ingredients to a 2-pound capacity bread machine in the order listed, select dough cycle, and press start.
- Remove when cycle is complete.
- Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C)
- When dough is finished, form into desired shape on a floured surface, and place on baking sheet or pizza stone. [note 3]
- Bake until lightly brown and firm. Cooking time will vary with altitude (20-40 minutes).
- Cool and enjoy.
- To make a twist loaf, roll dough into a cylindrical shape with your hands, but make one end of the cylinder thicker than the other. Then divide the cylinder with a knife down the center of the thicker end, creating a ring with a protruding cylinder. Braid and bake.
- Brush loaf with an eggwash (1 egg + a scant amount of water) or egg white, melted margarine or butter, or olive oil for a crisper crust.
- Sprinkle brushed loaf with minced garlic, chopped herbs, ground spices, grated cheese, ground pepper and/or kosher salt for flavor.
- Toss or roll into a flat disc and top with tomato sauce, olive oil, chopped meat, vegetables and/or grated cheeses to create a pizza (bake until cheese is melted).
- Original recipe text and ingredient order preserved. Weight conversions from USDA National Nutrient Database. Milliliter values were ignored. Honey was presumed in the range of 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon.
- The minimum amount of yeast will result in a slightly strong yeast flavor, and increase with higher values. To reduce this flavor, it is recommend to use no more than 0.75% instant dry yeast expressed as a baker's %, alternatively, 2.5% cake yeast (compressed) or 1% active dry yeast, although you can expect fermentation time to increase somewhat.
- There is no proofing time specified.