Cookbook:Banana Cream Pie II
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a saucepan.
- Add milk gradually.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until bubbly.
- Cook and stir an additional 2 minutes and remove from burner.
- Stir small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks, then immediately add egg yolk mixture to hot mixture and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.
- Slice 3-4 bananas into the cooled baked pastry shell.
- Top with pudding mixture and spread meringue (if desired) on top of the pie.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 12–15 minutes.
Cool before serving.
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Fresh whipped cream can be substituted for meringue after the pie is baked.