Cookbook:Béchamel Sauce Louisiannaise
Sauce Béchamel is one of the sauces mères of French Cuisine. This variation is used in Louisiana for seafood dishes, especially crab meat.
- 1 cup milk
- a quarter onion or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 to 2 tbsp butter
- 1 to 2 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper
- Steep the milk with a piece of onion or garlic and a bay leaf for 15 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Whisk in the flour and cook on medium to medium-high heat to make a roux.
- Gradually whisk in the milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick.