Cookbook:Aubergine and Onion Vegetable Pie
|Aubergine and Onion Vegetable Pie|
This is a vegetable pie using tomatoes, aubergines (eggplant), onions, and mushrooms. You can make vegetable pie with many kinds of vegetables.
- 250 g (1 cup) flour
- 100 g (0.4 cups) medium-soft butter (leave it out for a half-hour before making the crust)
- 1 egg
- Lukewarm water
- 1 pinch of salt
- Add the flour to a large bowl.
- Add the butter, and rub it into the dough with your fingers until the pastry is nearly consistent in texture.
- Add the egg, then some water bit by bit while working the pastry with your hands until it becomes soft and smooth. It should not be sticky, and it should look shiny and medium-yellow.
- Cut the vegetables into thin slices.
- Brown the vegetables in oil or butter or steam them, starting with the onions and aubergines (eggplant), then the mushrooms. Keep the tomatoes raw.
- Roll the dough out about ⅛–¼ inch thick.
- Butter a pie pan and fit the dough into the pan. Prick the dough all over with a fork, and line it with some aluminum foil in a curved shape.
- Pre-bake the crust for about 10 minutes in a medium oven.
- Take the crust out of the oven, and arrange the vegetables over the crust in whatever arrangement pleases you.
- In a bowl, mix the egg yolk with some milk and a bit of fresh cream, then pour the mixture on top of the vegetables.
- Cover with grated cheese.
- Bake for 15–20 minutes in a medium oven.