- 2 slabs St. Louis style/cut pork spareribs
- 6 tbsp Barbecue Rub
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup sake
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp mirin
- Dry hickory chunks
- Peel off thin membrane on each rib. Season ribs with Rub and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place chunks in the firebox of a 250°F (120°C) smoker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Place ribs in smoker and cook for 5-6 hours, brushing with soy mixture often.
- Brush meat sides generously with soy mixture and place under a preheated broiler until deeply browned. Watch carefully or it will burn!
- Slice into 1-rib portions and serve.