- Peel off the thin membrane on each rib. Season ribs with the barbecue rub and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place hickory chunks in the firebox of a 250°F (120°C) smoker.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a large sauce pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Set aside.
- Place ribs in smoker and cook for 5-6 hours, brushing with soy mixture often.
- Brush meat sides generously with soy mixture and place under a preheated broiler until deeply browned. Watch carefully or it will burn!
- Slice into 1-rib portions and serve.