Cookbook:Arjoli (Maltese Herbed Bread Dip)
Arjoli (alternately spelled Ajjoli) is a Maltese dip or spread. It is typically held together with bread.
- Let the galletti soak in water overnight to soften.
- Combine soaked galletti and all remaining ingredients in a mortar and pestle. Crush to a paste consistency.
- Use dry Maltese bread instead of the galletti
- Add one or two sun-dried tomatoes for a spicy taste
- Another Maltese version of Ajjoli (alternative spelling) mixes lots of diced tomato flesh (no skin or seeds) with very finely diced garlic and plenty of olive oil which should be left for flavors to blend for at least an hour. Optional fresh or dried mint - the dried kind gives a different flavor but is equally good.