- Combine the flour (sifted), oats, coconut and sugar in a bowl.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Mix the bicarbonate of soda with the water, and add to the butter and golden syrup.
- Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spoon dollops of mixture about the size of a walnut shell onto a greased baking sheet, leaving as much space again between dollops to allow for spreading.
- Bake in a moderate oven (180°C / 350°F) for 15–20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and seal in airtight containers.
Notes, tips, and variations
- The American tablespoon is a little smaller than the British/Australian tablespoon, so be generous with your golden syrup and water.