Cookbook:Afia Efere (Efik White Soup)
|Afia Efere (Efik White Soup)
Afia efere is a white soup native to the Efik tribe of Nigeria. It is similar to the Igbo ofe nsala. Afia efere is simple, easy to prepare, and affordable.
- Boil the assorted meat and goat meat until soft.
- Boil the smoked fish until soft.
- Grind the calabash nutmeg, uda, uziza seeds, and half of the uyayak until it is a nearly-smooth powder. Add some water to the ground spices and sieve.
- Peel, wash, and cook the yam until soft. Mash the boiled yam traditionally or using a food processor until smooth.
- Stir the crayfish, pepper, and the remaining half of the uyayak to the meat. Add some water, and bring the contents to a boil.
- Taste for salt and season. Add the ground spices to the meat, and simmer on a low heat.
- Add the pounded yam in medium-sized balls, and turn up the heat.
- Once the yam is dissolved, taste for seasoning and salt.
- Stir in the uziza leaves, and serve.