| A reader requests expansion of this book to include more material.
You can help by adding new material (learn how) or ask for assistance in the reading room.
| A Wikibookian believes this page should be split into smaller pages with a narrower subtopic.
You can help by splitting this big page into smaller ones. Please make sure to follow the naming policy. Dividing books into smaller sections can provide more focus and allow each one to do one thing well, which benefits everyone.
Tweaking the Classic Mode of WP 12 to improve the emulation of WPDOS 5.1Edit
This section contains tips for tweaking Corel WordPerfect 12, so that Classic Mode emulates WP 5.1 for DOS more closely. For a more complete review of Classic Mode, see WordPerfect 12.
The following abbreviations are used below:
- WP 12: Corel WordPerfect 12 (for Windows)
- WP 5.1: WordPerfect 5.1 DOS
WordPerfect 12 already has a 5.1 version setting in workspace manager under the tools menu.
Entering Classic ModeEdit
When WP 12 starts for the first time, it will give you the choice to first select one of several emulation modes. If this choice is not presented, select Tools, Workspace Manager, Classic Mode.
Tweaking Reveal CodesEdit
Select Tools, Settings, Display, Reveal Codes. Uncheck "Use system colors". Change the text color to white, and the Background to DOS blue by chosing "More" and entering this color: (R,G,B=0,0,168). For an even closer WP 5.1 experience, change the font to Fixedsys. Note that this font cannot be adjusted in size, and may be too small. If necessary, try Courier New. When you have chosen View, Zoom, "Margin width" you should use a font of about 14 to match a font size in your document of 12. Uncheck "Show spaces as bullets".
Tweaking the Application BarEdit
Right-click on the Application Bar at the bottom of the window and choose Settings. Uncheck Digital Signature. Check Num Lock State. Uncheck Printer. Uncheck Shadow Cursor On/Off. Double click on the Num Lock icon to change it to NUM. Double click on the AB icon to change it to CAPS. Drag CAPS completely to the right. Drag Insert/Typeover (General Status) completely to the left.
Still to be written
Reverting to the default settings for Classic ModeEdit
This section explains how to revert to the default settings for Classic Mode. (This is necessary because not all initial settings can be preserved by saving to a template. Templates contain changes made in Settings (Shift-F1), Customize, but not Settings (Shift-F1), Display.)
Un-tweaking Reveal CodesEdit
Select Tools, Settings, Display, Reveal Codes. Check "Use system colors". Check "Show spaces as bullets". Select Font, Arial, 10.
Un-tweaking the Application BarEdit
Right-click the Application Bar at the bottom of the window and choose Settings. Check Digital Signature. Uncheck Num Lock State. Check Printer. Check Shadow Cursor On/Off. Double click the NUM icon to change it to a Num Lock icon. Double click CAPS to change it to the AB icon. Drag CAPS completely to the left. Drag Insert/Typeover (General Status) to the left of the position (Combined Position).
Wish list for Corel to improve WP 5.1 emulationEdit
This wish list includes:
- a wider range of variable size display fonts such as Courier New, a variable height version of Fixedsys, and possibly others as well;
- being able to customise the foreground and background colors for the various font styles (bold, underline etc) (although this can be simulated with macros it's hard to do, and the document and Reveal Codes screen become cluttered with extra codes);
- not having Feature 34288 in Tools, Settings, Customize, Keyboards behind keys that invoke a WP 5.1 menu, and having the name of the menu item there instead;
- being able to display a traditional WP 5.1 application bar at the bottom of the screen, which can include non-WP 5.1 functions at the right hand end (perhaps someone will make this and Corel will put it on their website).