VCE Physics/Unit 1/AoS 1/An investigation related to thermal physics
Text to come.
Relevant Dot Points from the Study Design Edit
- apply thermodynamic principles to investigate at least one issue related to the environmental impacts of human activity with reference to the enhanced greenhouse effect:
- proportion of national energy use due to heating and cooling of homes
- comparison of the operation and efficiencies of domestic heating and cooling systems: heat pumps; resistive heaters; reverse-cycle air conditioners; evaporative coolers; solar hot water systems; and/or electrical resistive hot water systems
- possibility of homes being built that do not require any active heating or cooling at all
- use of thermal imaging and infrared thermography in locating heating losses in buildings and/or system malfunctions; cost savings implications
- determination of the energy ratings of home appliances and fittings: insulation; double glazing; window size; light bulbs; and/or electrical gadgets, appliances or machines
- cooking alternatives: appliance options (microwave, convection, induction); fuel options (gas, electricity, solar, fossil fuel)
- automobile efficiencies: fuel options (diesel petrol, LPG and electric); air delivery options (naturally aspirated, supercharged and turbocharged); and fuel delivery options (common rail, direct injection and fuel injection)
- explain how concepts of reliability, validity and uncertainty relate to the collection, interpretation and communication of data related to thermodynamics and climate science.