I may or may not have a philosphy on food. If I do and I were to verbalize it, it might be something like "I'd rather know what I'm doing than I would to just do it." Cooking by rote does not interest me.
I tend to focus on locally available, minimally processed ingredients as these are the very same foods that led our forebears to create the great cuisines.
My favorite cook books (and books on food):
- Everything by John Thorne
- Outlaw Cook (ISBN 0865474796)
- Serious Pig (ISBN 0-86547-597-0)
- Pot on the Fire (ISBN 0865476209)
- On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee (ISBN 0684800012)