Teaching Elementary School Health Education/Personal Health and Physical Activity/Dental Health
A dental health plan is a plan for taking care of the teeth and gums that includes frequent brushing and flossing, reduction of cavity-promoting foods, avoidance of tobacco, protecting teeth from injury, regular dental examinations, and cleaning of the teeth by a dental hygienist.
Types of TeethEdit
- Incisors - are the eight teeth in the front and center of the mouth that have a flat, sharp edge that cuts up food.
- Cuspids - are the four teeth in the corners of the mouth that have a long, heavy root and a pointed cusp that tears food.
- Bicuspids - are the eight teeth in the back of the cuspids with two cusps and one or two roots that tear and crush food.
- Molars - are the twelve teeth in the back of the mouth with several cusps and two or three roots that grind food.
- Teeth Cleaning - removing dental plaque an calculus that has built up on the teeth.
- X-Rays - may be taken to detect tooth decay or other dental problems.
- Whitening - there are treatments to whiten teeth, though human teeth are naturally yellow-ish.
- Dental Sealants - a thin, plastic coating painted on the chewing surfaces of the back teeth to prevent tooth decay.
Ways to keep Teeth and Gums HealthyEdit