|The requirements to this merit badge are copyrighted by the Boy Scouts of America. They are reproduced in part here under fair use as a resource for Scouts and Scouters to use in the earning and teaching of merit badges. The requirements published by the Boy Scouts of America should always be used over the list here. If in doubt about the accuracy of a requirement, consult your Merit Badge Counselor.
|Reading this page does not satisfy any requirement for any merit badge. Per National regulations, the only person who may sign off on requirements is a Merit Badge Counselor, duly registered and authorized by the local Council. To obtain a list of registered Merit Badge Counselors, or to begin a Merit Badge, please contact your Scoutmaster or Council Service Center.
Requirement 1 edit
Do the following:
- A. Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards associated with gardening and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
- B. Discuss the prevention of and treatment for health concerns that could occur while gardening, including cuts, scratches, puncture wounds, insect bites, anaphylactic shock, heat reactions, and reactions from exposure to pesticides and fertilizers.
Requirement 2 edit
Do the following:
- A. Grow six vegetables, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through harvest.
- B. Grow six flowers, three from seeds and three from seedlings, through flowering.
Requirement 3 edit
Give the nutritional value of the following:
- A. Three root or tuber crops.
- B. Three vegetables that bear above the ground.
- C. Three fruits.
Requirement 4 edit
Test 100 seeds for germination. Determine the percentage of seeds that germinate. Explain why you think some did not germinate.
Requirement 5 edit
Visit your county extension agent’s office, local university agricultural college, nursery, or a botanical garden or arboretum. Report on what you learned.
Requirement 6 edit
Explain to your counselor how and why honeybees are used in pollinating food crops and the problems that face the bee population today. Discuss what the impact to humanity would be if there were no pollinators.
Requirement 7 edit
Identify five garden pests (insects, diseased plants). Recommend two solutions for each pest. At least one of the two solutions must be an organic method.
Requirement 8 edit
Do ONE of the following:
- A. Build a compost bin and maintain it for 90 days.
- B. Build a vermipost bin (worm compost bin) and maintain it for 90 days.
- C. Build a hydroponic garden containing three vegetables or herbs, or three ornamental plants. Maintain this garden through harvest or flowering, or for 90 days.
- D. Build one water garden, either in a container (at least 12 by 6 inches and 6 inches deep), or in the ground as a small, decorative pond no larger than 6 by 3 feet and 24 inches deep. Maintain the water garden for 90 days.
- E. Prepare a honey super for use on a hive or colony. Remove a filled honey super from the hive or colony and prepare the honey for sale.
- Gardening Merit Badge with Workbook PDF, current requirements, and resources.
- Beekeeping Clubs by State
|Earning Merit Badges in the Boy Scouts of America
|Nature and Conservation
|Astronomy | Bird Study | Environmental Science | Fish and Wildlife Management | Fishing | Forestry | Gardening | Geology | Insect Study | Mammal Study | Nature | Plant Science | Reptile and Amphibian Study | Soil and Water Conservation | Weather