RTOG 88-23 (LIVER)
- Title: Phase I/II Study of Integrated Intra-Arterial CDDP and Intravenous I131-Antiferritin in the Treatment of Nonresectable Hepatocellular Cancer
- I. Determine the response rate and toxicity produced by combined intra-arterial cisplatin and intravenous I131-antiferritin in patients with unresectable hepatocellular cancer.
- Induction Phase: Intravenous Cisplatin followed by EBRT
- Treatment Phase: Intra-arterial cisplain + I-131-Antiferritin.
- Eligibility: hepatic metastases documented by liver scan
- PMID 9612600 -- Survival results among patients with alpha-fetoprotein-positive, unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma: analysis of three sequential treatments of the RTOG and Johns Hopkins Oncology Center. (Abrams RA, Cancer J Sci Am. 1998 May-Jun;4(3):178-84.) Conclusion: "Patients with unresectable alpha-fetoprotein-positive hepatocellular carcinoma experienced improved survival and decreased toxicity when managed with post-induction cycles of intra-arterial cisplatin as compared with intravenous doxorubicin and 5-FU. Intravenous 131I-polyclonal antiferritin did not improve survival when added to either post-induction regimen but dramatically increased hematologic toxicities."