Microsoft QuickBasic and QBasic (Quick Beginners All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) are very popular programming languages for beginners.
While its lack of power makes it unsuitable for many of today's applications, it is an invaluable learning tool.
This wikibook will cover the usage of QBasic and most of its functions. While most of the text discussed will work under QBasic, that version of the Basic interpreter has limitations and certain advanced commands will only work under QuickBasic.
One of the best Qbasic IDEs (Integrated Development Environment) is QB64. There are certain functions that work only in QB64.
- Learn to control text based output.
- Introduction to data structures in QBasic.
- Get input from a user and use it in various ways.
- Shows the proper method of performing basic calculations in QBasic.
- This section shows how to control the flow of a program.
- Explores the uses of Subroutines and Functions in QBasic.
- Shows string manipulation techniques in QBasic.
- Read and write to files allowing for data storage.
- Use the computer to make noises and incorporate them into output. Use Qbasic to make songs and PLAY tunes.
- Draw images on the screen. An introduction to the use of graphics in Qbasic.
- Understand how to use images in QB64.
- More advanced features of displayed output.
- Get more precise and real-time input from users. Learn the usage of the INKEY$ loop.
- This section delves further into the mathematical side of programing.
- Learn how to make animation.
- Explore 3D equations in QBasic.
- Incorporate many of the concepts into larger programs.
- A set of simple programs.
- Where to go from here. A list of very good sites to continue further.
- An Appendix of commands and source code.