Pragmalinguistic Peculiarities of English Slogan in Fashion Domain/Preface
This project focuses on the analysis of the pragmalinguistic features of advertising slogans in fashion domain in a communicative aspect. The research is aimed at revealing the peculiarities of the realization of the pragmatic function in the advertising slogans from the point of view of the actual division of the sentence as well as at generalizing the pragmatic messages given by the slogans under analysis. The project objective is to define and to characterize pragmalinguistic peculiarities of the slogans in fashion domain through the analysis of semantic, stylistic, structural and functional unity of English slogans. The project is meant for advanced users of English language for whom pragmalinguistics is of a special interest. The research will help acquire knowledge about advertising discourse, pragmalinguistic peculiarities of slogan in fashion domain and will make it possible to use the information for scientific purposes as well as in everyday life.
The book consists of six chapters. The first five parts present the theoretical basis for pragmatic approach in discourse studies, the problem of the advertising text and the slogan as its component; investigate the notion of the actual division of the sentence and its main objects. The sixth chapter contains the analysis of the pragmalinguistic characteristics of the advertising slogans in the fashion domain in contrastive and communicative aspects and the main pragmatic messages given by these slogans.
- The first chapter of this paper focuses on the pragmatics of the advertising discourse. The latter is viewed as a linguistic phenomenon, which includes the intentions of the author and the way the receiver understands them. The notions of “sentence” and “utterance” are defined as basic elements of the language and speech domains; the notions of “content” and “sense” are presented as different planes of expression of the thought.
- The second chapter deals with the advertising text, its main linguistic features and the problem of its definition. The classification cited in this part shows different approaches to the explanation of the advertising text and its main characteristics.
- Finally, genres, the structure,and linguistic and stylistic features of the advertising text are described in the third, fourth and fifth chapters of the book reciprocally.
- The sixth chapter of the work contains the sample analysis of 3 English slogans of the most famous fashion brands in terms of their pragmalinguistic features. Based on the semantic, structural and functional analysis of the slogans, the way pragmatic messages are fulfilled in them is researched.
- The whole set of analysed slogans with the statistic data can be found in Appendix.
Key words: discourse, pragmalinguistic features, slogan, semantics, actual division of the sentence, background knowledge, imperative.