Open and Distance Education/Course Design
In this Wikibook, you can learn about Course Design for online self-directed learning. A well-designed course can motivate learners and help learners to deepen their understanding. Therefore, understanding of course design is important. One of the platforms for online self-directed learners in Japan is JMOOC. JMOOC is a non-profit association aimed at promoting MOOC education in Japan and certifying online courses provided by other MOOC providers in Japan such as gacco, Fisdom, OUJ MOOC, and OpenLearning. The basic learning styles of the courses offered at JMOOC is video lecture base, which means JMOOC is for self-paced/self-directed learning. Therefore, in some pages of this Wikibook, we talk about JMOOC as an example.
This chapter has six sections:
1. About a theory related to the course design namely the Instructional Systems Design model.
2. About the course design based on JMOOC. Although online learners are able to self-regulate themselves and monitor their own learning, it is important to examine course design for self-directed learning.
3. About the course design for self-directed online learners and evaluates whether JMOOC has course design suitable for self-directed learners.
4. About the use of media and technology that are essential to online education. Also, some key points are explained about selecting the right media to use that course designers have to keep in mind for self-directed learning.
5. About the findings from previous studies and some suggestions for the new course design.
6. A conclusion of the Wikibook chapter. Some suggestions for the improvement of the instructional systems design process and our new model especially for the selection of media are provided.