Learn with pictures
- दिंडी = dinDi; a ritual pilgrmage in Maharashtra.
- पगडी = pagaDi; alternate पागोटे = pAgoTe The pinkish red turban traditional Marathi head gear.
- उपरणे = uparaNe; a cotton maffalar/stroll (many times used like a long cotton napkin)
- कुर्ता = kurtA; a cotton shirt with long slieves
- धोती = dhoti; a traditional cotton attire for men instead of trousers.
- घागर = ghAgar; a water pot (carried on the head by woman in this picture)
- चोळी = choLi; a blouse for women used with the sari a traditional attire
- नऊवारी= na,uvAri; a nine yard cotton sari a traditional attire.
- alternatively लुगडे = lugaDe; sari (in literal sense a cloth woven on loom cloth weaving is one of the oldest tradition in this part of the world.
- Pronounciation as of english alphabate B same pronounciation is in Marathi as बी = In Marathi बी means seed (of any plant; for singular usage only, plural is different we will not get in to plural at this stage)
- Note pronounciation of english word "Bee" is also similler.
- Remember pronounciation बी is not necessarily as of other words starting with B
- Remember pronounciation बी consonant ब् as in 'Bucket'; so just ब् is without vowel. To make sound as in english word Bee vowel sound ई 's is added to consonant ब् with ी sign. Hence, ब् + ी = बी
- We learned:
- Consonant ब्
- Serise of this consonant : प्, फ्, ब्, भ् , म्
- and vowel sign to go with consonants ी for vowel ई ; In english many spellings with ee like Bee, See, Pee contain longer sound like ई ( ी) also few english words with single e like 'me' have longer ई ( ी) vowel sound. (Sounds formed with english i vowel are usually shorter like 'big', 'pig' are shown in Marathi with different vowel इ ( ि) ; To make the difference more clearer; english word 'keen' contains longer vowel pronounciation as of ई ( ी) and word 'kin' has shorter pronounciation as of इ ( ि) )
- Vowels in Marathi language अ, आ, इ, ई = ी , उ, ऊ, ए, ऐ, ओ, औ, ऋ,ॠ, ऌ,ॡ, ॲ, ऑ