Knowledge Management Cases in Asia/Knowledge Management in a Law Enforcement Unit< Knowledge Management Cases in Asia
Since starting on the road to Knowledge Management (KM) in June 2002, the law enforcement unit, that we are going to discuss in this chapter, has become a front-runner in the KM field. Many local companies and organizations have studied the experience and sought benchmarking with the unit. This is no doubt that without applicable strategies and tailor-made KM tools, the development of KM would not be success.
We would not have been able to complete this chapter without the dedication and enthusiasm of the interviewer, Mr.A. We would like to express our gratitude to Mr.A for giving us a valuable lecture and sharing with us. In addition, we also want to acknowledge Dr Sam Chu and Maggie Wang for teaching us, guiding us and support us.
- By Carol Wong, Pui-yin, Eugene Wong, Ting-fung, Irene Lee, Man Lui, Wayne Kwok, Yu-hin, Sammi Hung, Sau Man
- Adhami, E., & browne, D. (1996). Major crime enquiries: Improving expert support for detectives. Special Interest Series, Paper 9, London: Home Office Police Research Group.
- Alavim M., & Leidner, D. E. (2001). Knolwedge management and knowledge management systems: Conceptual foundations and research issues. MIS Quarterly, 25 (1), 107-136.
- Ashby, D. I., & Longley, P.A. (2005). Geocomputation, geodemographics and resource allocation for local policing. Transactions in GIS, 9 (1), 53-72
- Bagchi, Subroto, (2004, Feb. 9). Singapore's thinking cop. BusinessWorld. Retrieved March 6, 2007, from http://www.businessworld.in/feb0904/arbor_mentis.asp
- Bock, G. W., Zmud, R. W., & Kim, Y.G. (2005). Behavioral intention formation in knowledge sharing: Examining the roles of extrinsic motivators, social-psychological forces, and organizational climate. MIS Quarterly, 29 (1), 87-111.
- Chen, H., et al. (2002), COPLINK Connect: information and knowledge management for law enforcement. Decision Support System, 34, 271-285.
- Chen, H., et al. (2003), COPLINK - Managing law enforcement data and knowledge', Communications of the ACM, 46 (1), 28-34.
- Colaprete, F. 2004, 'Knowledge Management', Law and Order, vol. 52, no. 10, pp. 82-86.
- Caterinicchia, Dan, (2002, Oct. 21). Air Force applies knowledge. Federal Computer Week. Retrieved March 6, 2007, from http://www.fcw.com/article77936
- Dean, G. (2000). Unpublished PhD thesis, Brisbane, Australia: Queensland University of Technology.
- Fielding, N. (2984). Police socialization and police competence. The British Journal of Sociology, 35(4), 568-590.
- Garud, R., & Kumaraswamy, A. (2005). Vicious and virtuous circles in the management of knowledge: The case of Infosys technologies. MIS Quarterly, 29(1), 9-33
- Grover, V., & Davenport, T.H. (2001). General perspectives on knowledge management: Fostering a research agenda. Journal of Management Informaiton Systems, 18(1), 5-21.
- Hansen, M. T., Nohria, N., & Tierney, T. (1999, March-April). What’s your strategy for managing knowledge? Harvard Business Review, 106-116.
- Housel, T. and Bell, A.H. 2001, Measuring and managing knowledge, Irwin, NY: McGraw Hill, New York.
- Kahana, E. (2001). Mossad-CIA cooperation. International Journal of Intelligence CounterIntelligence14, 409-420.
- Kankanhalli, A., Tan, B. C. Y., & Wei, K. K. (2005). Contributing knowledge to electronic knowledge repositories: An empirical investigation. MIS Quarterly, 29(1), 113-143.
- Lahneman, W.J. (2004). Knowledge-sharing in the intelligence community after 9/11. International Journal of Intelligence and Counterintelligence, 1, 614-633.
- Luen, T. W., & Al-Hawamdeh, S. (2001). Knowledge management in the public sector: Principles and practices in police work. Journal of Information Science, 27 (5), 311-318.
- Moffett, S., & McAdam, R. (2003). Contributing and enabling technologies for knowledge management. International Journal of Information Technology and Management, 2(1/2), 31-49.
- Nahapiet, J., & Ghoshal, S. (1998). Social capital, intellectual capital, and the organizational advantage. Academy of Management Review, 23(2), 242-266.
- Rubinstein, J. (1973)City Police. New York: Farrar, Straus, Giroux.
- Tan, W.L. and Al-Hawamdeh, S. 2000, Managing knowledge in the public sector: KM in the police service: 2nd Asia Pacific Conference on Knowledge Management, pp. 1-12, 28-30 November, Hong Kong.
- Tan, W.L. and S., Al-Hawamdeh 2001, 'Knowledge management in the public sector: principles and practices in police work', Journal of Information Science, 27, (5), pp. 311-318.