Knowing Knoppix/Getting help< Knowing Knoppix
“Where's the 'Any' key?” -- Homer Simpson
How to get helpEdit
On the CDEdit
The Knoppix CD carries the official list of frequently asked questions and answers. It is provided in several languages. To read the English version:
- Click the CD-ROM icon for your Knoppix CD
- Click the “KNOPPIX” folder.
- Click the “KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt” file.
- Wait for a moment while the “KWrite” application starts.
- The English version of the “Frequently Asked Questions” file will appear.
From the WebEdit
See the “unofficial” Knoppix web site for further FAQs, user forums, and how to get the latest version of Knoppix.
Web link The site for users, developers, and testers of Knoppix http://www.knoppix.net/
There is a mailing list, which is for development of Knoppix. The discussions are in German and English.
The mailing list homepage is:
The archives are at:
With Internet Relay ChatEdit
If you are looking for somewhat instant answers, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is the place to be. To talk to other Knoppix users using IRC:
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Click K Menu.
- Point to Internet.
- Click X Chat.
- Wait for a moment while the “X Chat” application starts.
- In the Nick Names boxes, enter up to three nicknames which you would like to be known as. You must enter at least two nicknames, in case your preferred nickname happens to be in use when you join the chat server.
- In the Username box, enter the username or login which you use to connect to your Internet Service Provider.
- In the Real Name box, type your real name.
- Under “Networks”, scroll down to “Freenode”.
- Click “FreeNode”.
- Click “Connect”.
- The message of the day from the IRC server will be shown.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- You will be joined to the “#knoppix” IRC channel. The messages in the channel will appear on the left. The nicknames of the people who are in the channel will be shown on the right.
- Ask your question, remembering to spell and punctuate correctly. The other IRC users will do their best to help you. Enjoy the chat!
Tip Before using IRC, check to see if your question is already answered in the Frequently Asked Questions. Knoppix users would love to see more people using IRC. However, if you ask a question that is already answered in the Frequently Asked Questions, you may be told to look there - or maybe something ruder!
Making X Chat fonts largerEdit
If you find the writing too small in X Chat:
- Click the “Settings” menu at the top of the X Chat window.
- Click “Preferences”.
- Next to “Font”, click “Browse”.
- Choose the font size you would like to use.
- Click OK.
- Click OK.
- The fonts will change to the size you chose.