||Knowing Knoppix is a featured book on Wikibooks because it contains substantial content, it is well-formatted, and the Wikibooks community has decided to feature it on the main page or in other places. Please continue to improve it and thanks for the great work so far! You can edit its advertisement template.|
Knowing Knoppix is a guide to the Knoppix Linux distro for the complete beginner
Knoppix is an astoundingly clever product. It runs Linux completely from a CD or DVD. There is no need to install. It bypasses all the software already installed on your PC or laptop and automatically detects the hardware in your computer (subject to suitable hardware). When you've finished using Knoppix, simply restart. Your computer will return to your regular system, and it will behave as if nothing has happened. Knoppix is Free Software and open source under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence (GPL).
This beginner-friendly book is designed to help with these situations:
- You can't start Windows! Disaster? Possibly not. It is often possible to rescue files using Knoppix from crashed Windows computers, even when Windows cannot be started. This guide takes you step by step through the process.
- You are curious about Linux, and you want to discover what all the fuss is about.
- You want a useful guide to help you get started with Knoppix.
Table of ContentsEdit
- Introducing Knoppix
- Knoppix for the first time
- The K Desktop Environment
- Knoppix essentials
- Identifying hardware
- Reading the hard disk
- CD reading and writing
- Using an external USB drive
- Using a floppy or zip disk
- Peripheral devices
- Other applications
- Recovering from freezes
- Getting help
- Finding permanence
- Advanced startup options
To run Knoppix in full and follow the instructions in Knowing Knoppix, you need:
- At least 256 Mb RAM
- Pentium compatible PC (350 Mhz or faster is the practical minimum)
- Bootable CD-ROM/DVD drive, or any CD-ROM/DVD drive plus 1.44 Mb floppy drive
- SVGA compatible graphics card
- Phil Jones is the original author of this book. (January 2005)
- The Source as well as the Complete book can be found...
- Snargle split and bookified it.