Guide to Game Development/Data file types
Data file types/formatsEdit
Text based file typesEdit
- Easy for humans to read, levels of indentation, can take up a lot of space. Standard used for storing general data.
- Compact data file, better for humans not to see, levels of indentation.
- Text file used for miscellaneous things.
- Easy to read, usually used to store game options.
Binary based file typesEdit
- Used with XNA programming
- Used for storing 3D models
- Material template library, used to store one or more materials within one file. Used with Wavefront .obj.
- File type owned by Autodesk
- Loss-less compression, good compress
- Uses lossy compression
- Loss-less compression, not so amazing compression, but easier to read with code
- Used for DXTC (Desktop platforms: OS X, Linux, Windows & Tegra) and ATC (Andreno GPUs) textures .
- Used for PVRT textures (PowerVR GPUs).
- Used for ETC1 textures(All OGLES 2.0 devices compatibles).
- Scaled vector graphic