Final Fantasy VII/Weapons
- This article is about the optional bosses. Looking for lower-case-w weapon information? See Final Fantasy VII/Equipment/Weapons.
Ultimate Weapon is the boss you first fight in Mideel, and can be fought for real toward the end of CD2, after Diamon Weapon is destroyed. From Ultimate Weapon you can win Clouds ultimate weapon- called "Ultima Weapon" for some unknown reason. Ultima Weapon will appear hovering in a crater.
You'll need to ram it with Highwind to get it moving. When Ultimate Weapon is flying around, you need to ram it a few times before it will finally stops over some spot; ramming it then will start a fight; the type of the fight will depend on location. To attack it during an air battle you'll need a long range weapon or long range materia and during the air battle you can steal a circlet from it. During a ground battle you can steal a reflect ring from it and use ground attacks against it.
You can get air battles at the lake near Junon, Mideel, Mount Nibel and Mount Corel and the ground battles at Gongaga, Fort Condor, Midgar, the Northern Crater and Cosmo Canyon. Ultimate Weapon will fly around these so you just have to fly around these ares to find it.
When it sustains enough damage, Ultimate Weapon will fly away and after you've fought it in enough battles and it's sustained enough damage it will fly to the Cosmo Canyon Mountains for a final showdown where you can finally win Ultima Weapon. For this battle you'd probably want to equip the handy Enemy Skill materia as the person who gets the last hit on Ultimate Weapon will be attacked by Ultimate Weapons final attack- Shadow Flare, and it's quite a useful enemy skill to have, so having omnislash and equipping the Enemy Skill to Cloud would be a good idea. Regen is also a helpful magic to have and is a good idea to cast near the start of the battle.
So after you've finally defeated Ultimate Weapon after all that chasing you'll have Ultima Weapon and after it's defeated, Ultimate Weapon explodes and opens a walkway to the Ancient Forest, a place with many handy things in like Supershot ST for Vincent, Spring Gun Clip for Red XIII, Apocalypse for Cloud (because that's helpful AFTER you've got Ultima Weapon...), Minerva Band armour, Slash-All and Typoon materia and an elixir or two. (NB you can also get here by breeding a green chocobo)
Ruby Weapon is an optional boss that shows up in the Corel Desert around the Gold Saucer on CD 3, once Ultima Weapon is defeated on CD 2 or 3. To fight it, you need to steer the airship to the red thing that sticks out of the sand, you can also take a gold chocobo and run into it;But be well prepared.
To defeat Ruby Weapon, here is a general list of the items you will need:
- The fight nets a ridiculous amount of AP, which you should take advantage of. Preferrably, use a weapon with triple growth, loaded with materia. (Scimitar for Cid, or the Apocalypse for Cloud). Use double growth weapons if these aren't available. Otherwise, go for the best equipment armor and weapon wise.
- Final Attack-Revive or Final Attack-Phoenix combination.
- Hades, Knights of Round, and Mime Materia Mastered. W-Summon and Master Summon Materia is useful here.
- Plenty of Elixirs.
- Omnislash or any other multi-hitting limits help here too.
- Lots and lots of patience.
The other two members of your party should be down. Ruby Weapon will otherwise use the Quicksand attack, which will remove two members of your party from the battle. Just kill them off before hand and keep it a one on one battle.
- Ruby WEAPON is not immune to Stop, so start off with casting Hades, or W-Summon Knights of Round with Hades and repeatedly mime that.
- Be wary of using Knights of Round unless accompanied with a HP-Absorb materia and high HP levels. Ruby usually counters with the Ultima spell.
- Consider the possible materia combinations, preferably combined:
- (Knights of Round)+(HP absorb): allows 10% of the damage caused to be re- absorbed by the caster, in the case of Knight of Round, It will probably completely refill the caster's HP.
- (W-Summon) and (W-Magic): not necessarily in the same pair of slots)
- ([Command]Counter)+(Mime): that is, the counter materia that counters with an attached command materia. The result is that every time Ruby attacks, the character counters by using Mime. Several of these pairings increases the number of counter attacks.
- (Fire) and (Elemental): Can reduce, nullify, or even absorb the damage from Ruby's Ruby Flame attack, depending on what level your Elemental materia is on.
- With all of the above, it is possible to have a party or single character who W-Summons Knights of Round (theoretically allowing almost 260,000 damage) and is healed for 10% of the total damge the summons cause, and can counter any of Ruby WEAPON's attacks with this.
For example, it is quite possible to cause, for example, 80,000 damage per Knights of Round spell for a relatively high level party. So, using the combination above, they would cause 160,000 damage per turn, and per counter attack, and the caster would be healed for 16,000 HP every time. Even with Ruby's Ultima spell counter-attack, the healing effect should allow most paries to pass WEAPON with (relative) ease.
- And of course, Regen, Haste and Wall (or even faster, Regen and the "Mighty Guard" Enemy Skill) are useful.
- (Todo: other tips and strategies?)
Emerald Weapon is not to be confused with what is sometimes referred to as "Onix" or "Sapphire" WEAPON, that attacks Junon at one point in the game, before being seemingly decapitated by the cannon. Final Attack + Revive recommended for sure.
It's found in the ocean, so you need the sub. And as for where... look around near the Gelnika, see the vast rather fierce looking monster swimming around deep down in an ocean trench. Be wary when leaving the Gelnika, too- Emerald WEAPON has a habit of waiting just above it.
You can use '7777 fever' to inflict a large demage on Emerald Weapon. You can even start the battle with all your members having '7777 fever' and at full limit break.
Before using this trick, you should have one character acquired with the 'Manipulate' materia, and another one with 'Transform' materia. Then you can just wander on the world map to engage in a normal battle. Use your character to hit themselves. It is just to ensure all their HPs are below 7777. You can now use the 'manipulate' command to control your enemy. Then use the magic to transform the manipulated one into 'mini' status. Now control it to hit your party member. The character's HP will be reduced by 1. Do it until the final 2 digits become 77. Then finish the battle and go back to the menu screen. It's time to use your potion and hi-potion. Do some calcuations and use the potions until the his/her HP reaches 7777. You can do this to all your party members.
An alternate method to get 7777 HP is to reduce the character HP to as low as possible, and then equip the Cat's Bell accessory. Walk around until the character's HP reaches exactly 154 (approximately 2 HP per step). Enter battle, and cast Demi 2 on the character, and either escape or end the battle. Use 2 potions and 15 hi-potions on the character, and (s)he'll have 7,777 HP.
You can run away from both Ruby and Emerald WEAPONs, using the normal running away method or using the 'escape' spell (Banish, no matter how much you want it to, does not work!). After you run, Emerald occurs as normal, but Ruby is completly out of the sand until you enter a location, then it resubmerges.