Cookbook:Tarte Tatin(Redirected from Cookbook:Tarte tatin)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Place sugar, butter and water in a stovetop/oven-safe tarte dish (a 9-inch or 10-inch Pyrex pie plate works well) over medium-high heat.
- Cook until mixture becomes golden brown and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and allow mixture to cool to room temperature in the tarte dish.
- When caramel mixture has cooled, arrange the apple quarters on their sides in the mixture.
- Roll the pastry dough out to a thickness of about ½-inch and a diameter large enough to cover the tarte dish.
- Place dough on top of the tarte, then trim and discard the edges.
- Bake tarte for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tarte dish for 15 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter.
Tips, Notes, and VariationsEdit
- European-style butter, which has a higher fat content than American butter, is recommended. Most US supermarkets now stock at least one variety of European-style butter, Plugra being one of the most popular brands.