Chess Opening Theory/Organization
Conventions for organizationEdit
Conventions for organization:
- Moves are organized in a directory-like structure.
- Moves from a given position are referenced as relative links from the current position. Thus, from the opening position at Chess Opening Theory, the position reached after 1. e4 is addressed as /1. e4. The position reached after 1. e4 e5 is addressed from the page at Chess Opening Theory as /1. e4/1...e5.
- White moves are referenced as move number, period, space, move (in short algebraic). The space prevents an unbroken string of characters in the page title becoming too wide for the page.
- Black moves are referenced as move number, 3 periods, move (in short algebraic). No spaces are used.
- Indications of check (+) or checkmate (#) are not included in the reference link because of Wikibooks restrictions on page titles, but should be indicated in the displayed text.
- Theory tables are optional, but very useful. The best way to include these is by copying the table from another position.
- Board diagrams should be included on each page -- again, best copied from the previous position.
- If a Wikipedia entry exists for the position, reference the Wikipedia article and vice-versa.
- Do not copy analysis from copyrighted works. The moves themselves are not subject to copyright, but the analysis is.
- If you find a transposition (common) use a redirect to an existing position. An example of this is the tranposition of the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit to the French Defence.
- Castling is O-O as in PGN. Letter O, not number zero.
- There are no ! and ?s in the page names, nor indications of check/checkmate, nor e.p. though these may be included in the main text and hyperlinks.
- Position evaluations are optional. Stick with the Informator symbols: + − (Decisive advantage for White), +/− or ± (Clear plus for White), +/= or ⩲ (Slight plus for White), = (Equal), =/+ or ⩱ (Slight plus for Black), −/+ or ∓ (Clear plus for Black), − + (Decisive advantage for Black). Also: ∞ (Unclear), =/∞ (Compensation, whoever is down in material has compensation for it.).