Applied Science BTEC Nationals/Practical Chemical Analysis/Case studies
Morriston Hospital, SwanseaEdit
The Swansea NHS Trust serves 250,000 people and manages 1800 hospital beds. It is a teaching hospital trust with all major specialities including burns, renal, cardiac surgery and neurosurgery. There are two main hospitals, Singleton (600 beds) and Morriston (850), and 7 smaller hospitals. Morriston is on the northern outskirts of the city. Singleton is west of the city centre.
There are two main laboratories in the Swansea NHS Trust, one at Morriston and the other at Singleton. The Pathology Departments have concentrated most resources on one or other sites in order to maximise use of facilities. A comprehensive service is achieved despite this specialisation, by means of efficient IT and transport systems. The department has an annual budget of approximately £8.5 million.
The department is Clinical Pathology Accreditation (UK) Ltd (CPA) accredited. CPA is the key accreditation body for NHS pathology laboratories. Laboratories are required to apply CPA standards in all aspects of their daily operations.
CPA standards apply to the laboratory’s organisation, staffing, resources, analysis and examination methods and quality assurance.
Anchem Laboratories, NeathEdit
Anchem Laboratories Ltd was established in 1983 to carry out a wide range of testing: asbestos consultancy, noise surveys, occupational hygiene work amongst other environmental and health and safety orientated services.
They are UKAS accredited for many aspects of the consultancy's work to ISO 17025. Anchem hold UKAS accreditation for asbestos surveys to meet the new Control of Asbestos at Work Regulations 2006. This accreditation meets the internationally recognised Standard ISO 17020. They hold MCERTS for stack emission testing offering an independent service to existing and new customers.Anchem home page.</ref>
- G Bishell GEM 3000 - The Swansea Story (An account of the introduction of a new blood gas analyser system)
- Description of Swansea Pathology Service for Medical students.
- Swansea Pathology Service Handbook (3rd edition, April 2005)
- D Stockwell, G Rooke, C Dancer, D Burnett (2004) An intranet based clinical laboratory quality manual and organisational information system. Healthcare Computing.
- United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS)
- The Environment Agency's Monitoring Certification Scheme (MCERTS)