Applied Science AQA/Amount of Substance
Setting Applied contextEdit
Chemical engineers and synthetic chemists rely on their knowledge of mole and reaction stoichiometries to determine reacting masses and yields for large-scale industrial production of chemicals. Analytical chemists also apply similar concepts in quantitative analysis, together with the selection of correct reagents to ensure accuracy of outcomes.
|Syllabus Content||What you need to do|
|• the mole as the amount of a substance that always contains the same number of entities (eg atoms, molecules, ions, electrons)
• the relationship between mass of substance and amount in moles, moles = mass Mr
• the relationship between volume of gas at RTP and STP and amount in moles, PV = nRT
• concentrations of solutions in terms of mol dm–3 and g dm–3
• molecular formulas
• empirical formulas
• calculating empirical formulas
|• writing balanced equations for typical reactions including:
• acid–base neutralisation
• thermal decomposition
• combustion reactions
|• calculating reacting masses based on correct stoichiometries
• equivalence point of an acid–base titration
• how the choice of indicator for an acid–base titration depends on the types (strengths) of acid and base used and the resulting pH titration curve
• calculating unknown concentrations and volumes from results involving volumetric analysis (limited to acid–base titrations); moles = vol (dm3) x concentration (mol dm–3)
• plotting and interpreting pH curves.
Exploration of key ideas (must be original text, not C&P) – level checked by AQAEdit
In general, point students towards the approach to take, as opposed to just giving them information.
Work to do to understand this topic e.g. research, analysis
Careers and OrganisationsEdit
Carry out some research into these jobs in this area. (Feel free to add other jobs you find.)
|Research these roles:||What are the benefits of this role to society?||What organisations would employ someone in this role?
(Where would they work?)
|What would someone in this role have to do within the organisation?||What scientifically-related skills do they need to have?
What techniques do they need to have mastered?
|What experience is needed to undertake this role and its responsibilities within an organisation?||What other science personnel will they work with in their organisation.|
– relating to criteria skills
click to reveal answer
– can we use old AQA qs… e.g. from more than 5 years ago? With Examiner comments
click to reveal answer
to other sections within this book
to good external websites (including AQA website, wikipedia, relevant applications / companies) - also considering links in spec
References / BibliographyEdit
of recommended text books
including mapped refs to existing books