|Time||prep 10 min, cooking 30 min|
A simple recipe that combines potatoes and leeks with a cream roux.
Equipment and suppliesEdit
- boiling pot
- brazing pot (4-6 quart)
- mixing fork
- Peel potatoes and remove ALL brown and discolored areas. Boil potatoes for 20 minutes or until the interiors are soft when stuck with a knife. Do not over cook potatoes. Drain potatoes, retain liquid, let the potatoes cool, then mash with fork.
- In a braiser and over low heat, sauté leek and shallot bottoms in the margarine until clear, or about 10 minutes. Add chicken base, white pepper, white wine, heavy cream, and milk; simmer until soup starts to bubble. Add mashed potatoes and whisk vigorously, if the soup is too thick add some of the potato water.
- Chill the soup.
- Just before serving, put the soup in a blender and whip on low speed for 20 seconds. Garnish with shallot tops
Notes, tips, and variationsEdit
- Green Onions may be substituted for the Shallots
- For a Creole touch, boil the potatoes in just a hint of crab boil seasonings.