Z80 Assembly/What You Need< Z80 Assembly
To begin programming, you will require the following.
- Calculator: a TI-82, TI-83x, TI-84x, TI-85, or TI-86 or newer model.
- TASM: This program "assembles" the assembly code you will write to code that the computer understands.
- TI-83 Plus Include File: this text file assists TASM by giving it necessary information when assembling.
- DevPac8x: this program changes the code that TASM has assembled into a file that you can transfer to your calculator.
- TI SDK: also known as the TI 83 Plus Flash Debugger, this program allows programs to be tested on the computer for errors without having to transfer them to the calculator.
- Link: this will allow you to transfer your programs to the calculator from the computer.
Now that you have everything, you will need to set up the environment so that everything works together. It is highly advisable to follow examples given.
- Make a folder where you will put all of your Assembly files (e.g. C:\ASM).
- Unzip the TASM files into a subfolder of ASM titled 'TASM' (e.g. C:\ASM\TASM).
- Put 'ti83plus.inc' into your TASM folder.
- Unzip the DevPac8x files into a subfolder of ASM titled 'devpac8x' (e.g. C:\ASM\devpac8x).
- Make another subfolder of ASM titled 'Programs' (e.g. C:\ASM\Programs). This folder will be where all of your programs will be placed.
- Install the TI SDK.
- Open Notepad and type the following:
@echo off echo Compiling... move %1.z80 ..\tasm cd ..\tasm tasm -t80 -i -b %1.z80 %1.bin move %1.z80 ..\programs move %1.bin ..\devpac8x cd ..\devpac8x devpac8x %1 move %1.bin ..\programs move %1.8xp ..\programs cd ..\programs echo Done!
Save this as 'compile.bat' into your Programs folder. Make sure to set 'Save as type:' to 'All files' or it will save as 'compile.bat.txt'.
Now, just verify that you know how to use the link and turn on your calculator.