Wikibooks:Collaboration of the Month/June 2006 voting< Wikibooks:Collaboration of the Month
The following are the rules and conditions for voting for the Collaboration of the Month:
- Only registered users with 20 or more edits to their name may vote.
- You may vote under as many nominations as you wish, however, you may only vote for each book itself once.
- Sign your vote with a number sign and four tildes, #~~~~, after the most previous vote under the book's nomination. Unsigned votes will be removed.
- Any nomination which receives 3 or more votes in one month will automatically be renominated the next month if it is not chosen.
- If you wish to include a short comment for your vote, then you may do so. Make sure that if you leave such a comment, that you are also voting for that page.
- Do not post objection votes as these will have no effect on the final tally.
- Voting will end at 00:00 UTC on the first day of each month. In essence, when a new month begins voting ends. Any votes added after this time will be discarded.
- The nomination with most votes will be chosen as the Collaboration of the Month. In case of a tie, the older Wikibook will be chosen.
(renominated with 5 votes for May)
- Matt 23:31, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
- Klingoncowboy4 19:13, 3 May 2006 (UTC)
- Dolive35 11:13, 16 May 2006 (UTC)
- Modella 09:28, 31st May 2006 (UTC)
- Jguk 15:29, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
- Dilaudid 10:08, 10 May 2006 (UTC)
- Ultimadesigns 20:41, 17 May 2006 (UTC)
- Dolive35 14:06, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
- Mastermind 007 15:28, 27 May 2006 (UTC)
- DettoAltrimenti 21:37, 28 May 2006 (UTC)
The help namespace should contain useful information for beginners (and probably something for oldtimers too). This should be the Welcome, Newcomers section. At present, though, it is turned off from the sidebar and is inadequate, Jguk 15:29, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
Full of red links, the page How to start a Wikibook just says good question, really neads some work, but could be very useful. The low qaulity at the moment probaly puts lots of new contributors off.Dolive35 14:06, 26 May 2006 (UTC)
- DSYoungEsq 18:23, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
All those players cannot be wrong!! DSYoungEsq 18:23, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
- This book is about a game, and as such will need to be removed shortly as it doesn't comply with the Jimbo-amended WB:WIW. Therefore it's not appropriate to have this as a collaboration here on WB. DSYoungEsq, please see if you can find another wiki to take it over - StrategyWiki has been suggested for some of these game books, though I'm sure there are others about, Jguk 21:27, 1 May 2006 (UTC)
- The proposal that Wikibooks not include game manuals is not yet an accepted consequence of the general idea that this is for "textbooks." I see that the WB:WIW talk page has discussion on this; the assertion that this policy was removed from the page. Unless and until it is accepted official policy, let's leave this open to see what people think. DSYoungEsq 17:49, 2 May 2006 (UTC)
- I know there is some small resistance to the move, but come the end of the day, what Jimbo says goes. I'm certainly sympathetic to those who wish Jimbo had spoken much earlier, when there were just a few of these books, but I do agree with the general premise that Wikibooks should be focused on textbooks and that removing the non-textbooks will improve that focus and encourage further positive development. I'm heartened that there is at least one location (StrategyWiki) and possibly another (www.gmcfoley.com) that will provide a future for these books. I wish them every success. In the meantime, until they are relocated, I think it would be wrong (and even though you do not intend it, almost like sticking two fingers up at our benevolent dictator) to nominate one of these books as a Wikibooks Collaboration of the Month, Jguk 19:27, 2 May 2006 (UTC)
- If and when the policy is implemented, then the suggestion will be removed. In the absence of agreement to and adoption of a policy, my suggestion will remain. I don't think this is the place to carry out a debate which seems to be being engaged between only a very few individuals, and which has other, more appropriate homes. DSYoungEsq 13:29, 4 May 2006 (UTC)
- Mastermind 007 10:08, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
- --Tahren B 10:00, 14 May 2006 (UTC)
- Doiçt 20:57, 15 May 2006 (UTC)
- First French, then German now this one will be one day be the Book Of The Month. Although, for now it's under development which is definitely great. I hope one day it'll be so developed that it'll reach a standard of higher respect.
- It's awesome to see the project grow, though I think there ought to be more variance in the themes of the focus points. I'd prefer to see lots of different projects of the month than have Wikibooks only focus on languages. Dilaudid 19:50, 12 May 2006 (UTC)
- That Wikibook has a solid base, so it may rapidly develop into a very helpful source of information for youth, or even experienced, programmers. Sblive 15:22, 24 May 2006 (UTC)
- I think we need a well designed traditional textbook to show off and encourage contributions for on the main page right now. This would definately fall in that category. --hagindaz 00:50, 26 May 2006 (UTC)