Pea Soup or Erttesuppe
- Soak the dry peas overnight in about 4 cups of cold water.
- Add 8 cups of water to the peas and soak water. Simmer the peas in a pot until soft.
- In a separate pot, cook the smoked butt for 40 minutes per pound.
- Cut the smoked butt into small cubes and add to the softened pea stock.
- Peel the onion and chop it into fine pieces. Add to the stock.
- Add half the salt and pepper, and add more to your taste.
- Add the thyme
- Cook for at least 5 minutes together, adding water from the meat if the stock is too thick. Cook longer if it is too thin.
- Serve immediately, or chill and reheat for the next day.
Serve as dinner course, or with bread for a simple meal.