USMLE Step 1 Review/Anatomy< USMLE Step 1 Review
LOCATION OF THORACIC DUCTEdit
- The duck is between two geese (duck = thoracic duct)
- 2 geese = azyGOUS and esophaGUS
Roots, Trunks, Divisions, Cords, Branches:
--> Radical Teachers Drink Cold Beers
- Randy Travis Drinks Cold Beers.
- Robert Taylor Drinks Cold Beer.
- Red Trucks Drive Cats Nuts.
- Read The Damn Cadaver Book.
- Real Texans Drink Cold Beer.
ATTACHMENTS OF CHEST MUSCLESEdit
- A lady between two majors.
- Pectoralis major attaches to lateral lip of bicipital groove.
- Teres major attaches to medial lip of bicipital groove.
- Latissimus dorsi attaches to the floor of bicipital groove.
- The "lati" is between two "majors."
- "Lateral is less, medial is more."
- Lateral pectoral nerves goes through pectoralis major while medial pectoral nerve goes though both pectoralis major and minor
I - olfactory, II - optic, III - oculomotor, IV - trochlear, V - trigeminal, VI - abducens, VII - facial, VIII - acoustic (vestibulocochlear), IX - glossophrayngeal, X - vagus, XI - accessory, XII - hypoglossal
- On Old Olympus Towering Tops, A Finn And German Viewed Some Hops
- Oh Once One Takes The Anatomy Final, Very Good Vacations Are Had
- Our Only Object To Touch And Feel Virgin Girls Vagina And Hymen-----is to learn cranial nerve names.
- You have I nose. You have II eyes. (I - Olfactory; II - Optic)
--> Some Say Marry Money But My Brother Says Big Boobs Matter Most (Sensory, Motor, and Both) Sammy Sosa Makes Money But My Brother Says Barry Bonds Makes More
- OLd OPie OCasionally TRies TRIgonometry And Feels Vague GLOomy And HYPOactive (letters in capital have similar in CN's.)
- On Occasion Of Trader's Tea, Attractive Faces Are Girl Visitors. Say Hi.
- Choirs Of Silly Singers Sing Rhyms Out Side In Imertinent Jollienss Joyfully Jogging Home (to remember exits of cranial nerves (+2 for the 3 branches of CN:V)
- Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel Various Girls Very Attractive Hair(Cranial Nerves)
- Oh Oh Oh To Touch And Feel A Girl's Vagina, AH! (Cranial Nerves)
- On Occasion Our Trusty Truck Acts Funny - Very Good Vehicle Any-How
- Oh Once One Takes The Anatomy Final Very Good Vacations Are Heavenly
Biceps (C5-6) elbow flexion
Brachio-radialis (C5-6) elbow flexion & supination
Triceps (C7) elbow extension
Patellar (L3-4) knee extension = knee jerk
Achilles (S1) plantar flexion = ankle jerk
LR6 SO4 R3Edit
- LR6 - Lateral Rectus --> CN VI Abducens
- SO4 - Superior Oblique --> CN IV Trochlear
- R3 - The Remaining 4 eyeball movers --> CN III Occulomotor
- or LAST: LA = Lateral Rectus - Abducens Nerve, ST = Superior Oblique - Trochlear Nerve
BRANCHES OF FACIAL NERVEEdit
Temporal, Zygomatic, Buccal, Mandibular, Cervical
- Two Zebras Bought My Car
- Two Zebras Bit My Cookie
- To Zanzibar By Motor Car
- Ten Zulus Buggered My Cat
- To Zionsville By Max's Car
- Tappan Zee Bridge May Close
- Two Zombies Bit My Cranium
CERVICAL SPINAL NERVESEdit
- c345 keep the diaphragm alive (innervation of diaphragm by the phrenic nerve)
- c5-6-7 raise your arms to heaven (nerve roots of long thoracic nerve innervate serratus anterior and if severed you see "winging" of the scapula)
INNERVATION OF PENISEdit
- Parasympathetic causes erection. Sympathetic causes ejaculation. "Point and Shoot."
- "S2, 3, 4 keep the penis off the floor"
- Innervation of the penis by branches of the pudendal nerve, derived from spinal cord levels S2-4
- Aortic arch gives off the Brachiocephalic trunk, the left Common Carotid, and the left Subclavian artery
Order of things in the Femoral TriangleEdit
- "N(AVEL)" (From Lateral To Medial)
- Nerve, Artery, Vein, Empty space, Lymphatics
NOTE: Parenthesis includes things contained in the femoral sheath.
LOCATION OF INQUINAL HERNIAS with Reference to the Inferior Epigastric Arteries:
- "MDs don't LIe" (Medial- Direct, Lateral - Indirect): Direct inquinal hernias are Medial while Indirect hernias are Lateral to the inferior epigastric arteries
Addendum Module: More Through Anatomy Notes - This page is just temporary until the additional information in that page can be better organized over multiple chapters/sections along with the rest of this book.