Soh-Cah-Toa is a mnemonic for remembering how to use sines, cosines, and tangents to compute lengths in right angle triangles.
Applying the definitions of the functions, we have:
- or opposite side over hypotenuse
- or adjacent side over hypotenuse
- or opposite side over adjacent side
This can be memorized using the mnemonic 'SOH-CAH-TOA' (sin = opposite over hypothenuse, cosine = adjacent over hypotenuse, tangent = opposite over adjacent).
These links from the Khan Academy are useful for this topic.
- Basic Trigonometry Soh-Cah-Toa (sin and cosine)
- Basic Trigonometry II Soh-Cah-Toa (starting with tan)
Exercises: (Draw a diagram!)Edit