The Computer Revolution/Security/Passwords
How to deal with passwords?
- Don't tell anyone your user name and password.
- Don't use passwords that can be easily guessed (Ex. DOB, mother's maiden name, phone #, address)
- Avoid any word that appears in a dictionary. (Use a passphrase of several words, or weird combinations of letters, #'s, and punctuation)
- Create long passwords, especially for sensitive sites. (Financial accounts-16 character passwords are recommended)
- Don't use the same password for multiple sites.
- Change passwords often (4-6 weeks)
- Don't write passwords on sticky notes, notebook, handheld computer or tape them under the keyboard
- Write down your passwords, and carry the passwords in your wallet. (Some people say "You shouldn't write down passwords". That is outdated advice.)
Strategies for a Strong PasswordEdit
The longer your password is, the more secure it will be. It should be at least eight characters long, and consist of numbers, letters and special characters. Do not use your name, your pets name, your high school name, your birthday, or any other public information for your password. Some sites require you to use a password and answer questions from the computer database, such as your city of birth, school attended, mother’s maiden name, etc. Don’t use answers that someone could easily find out from other sources such as facebook. Since passwords can be hard to remember, especially since they shouldn’t be regular words, you can use a passphrase that is easy to remember such as “I have two sisters and two brothers older than me”. Then you can use the first letter of each word and throw in some numbers and special characters such as “iH2s&2b0tM”. Never write down your password on paper. Create a password-protected file on your computer, and save your passwords there if you need to write them down.
Password Protection for MacsEdit
Apple has created so many different products, and they take pride in their security options. For laptops and desktops, they have an application called Keychain Access which allows the user to have access to saved passwords for other applications along with things like WiFi networks, and website passwords. The important thing about Keychain Access is that there is a way to lock your passwords into the application so that only the user with the password to your computer can access them. This is important because it protects your important passwords like your login, or some private web passwords. Also, to be able to view the passwords, you must enter your computer password and then you will be able to see it.