The Computer Revolution/Computer Graphics/Adobe Photoshop< The Computer Revolution
Whenever there is a mention of photo-editing or photo-retouching or photographs in general, the software that has dominated the market is Adobe Photoshop. Every photographer that I have met who uses digital photography or does photo-editing uses photoshop for skin tones, highlighting, smoothing, etc. But using pictures in artistic ways and creating expressionist or abstract art is an intriguing field of computer graphic designing.
Art is relative, what may be art to me may not be considered art by you. With a whole collection of art quotes I will use predominately one quote to justify the contents of this article. "You cannot master art without the knowledge of its technique."
Adobe Photoshop has proved to be a vital tool for me. Rather than just be for editing pictures for fun with friends or for an assignments, it proves to be very easy and efficient when it comes to graphics editing. I am currently using Adobe Photoshop 7 and the wide variety of tools enhances the whole experience. There are tools such as the clone stamp, the burn or dodge tool, paint brush, and many others. There is the optic zoom tool which allows to you to view pictures at 1600%. This basically allows you to perfect every pixel to what you want it to look like. The Clone stamp allows you to copy how every much of another graphic you want in just one easy click and brush stroke. The burn or dodge tool is used to darken a image depending on the intensity you choose. If you hold the the Alt key while doing so it does the exact opposite. So if your placing one of your friends head on Arnold Schwarzenegger's body, this makes it easier for you to match the different skin tones. It also allows for you to add text so you can title each picture with some cool fonts and funky colors.
The newest version of Photoshop is Photoshop CS5. It does all the things that previous versions have done but obviously has new features. It is widely used by professional photographers as well as a tool for correcting, manipulating and enhancing photos. One of the greatest things about Photoshop is that you can create actions, which allow the user to record the different tasks performed for that photograph. For example, if you regularly do 10 steps to the majority of your photographs to enhance them, Photoshop allows you to press the record button and continue with those 10 steps and then save that action. Now that it is saved all you have to do is press play in the actions box for the next photograph you want to same 10 steps to take place in. This is one of many features that photographers use in this amazing and multifaceted software.
- Uses of Photoshop
The uses of Photoshop are plentiful, they vary from modifying photos by simple touch ups such as red eye and clarifying an image. Along with major adjustments such as color saturation, filters and image simulation or design. This allow anyone from a professional artist to a free lance photographer to import and edit any photos. It also allows image manipulation to create the picture you wanted but were unable to get due to weather or the tip of your finger in the photograph.
There are many ways to edit a photograph through the use of Photoshop. It can be a fine detail such increasing the contrast of the photo to allow it to be viewed better. Or complete manipulation of the entire photo. This could take shape and form in discarding the background of a photo and creating your own by substituting another image. However Photoshop is simply not only for photos. The software allows the user to design and manipulate multi-layered pages as well.
When approaching manipulation of a photograph it can a daunting experience. Considering that you maybe working on a photograph that has sentimental meaning or possible took you a long time to capture that right shot. Photoshop offers a vast number of ways to properly manipulate your photograph, from blurring the surroundings to concentrate the eye on the center of the image. Or even increasing the proportions of a photo to give it a surreal atmosphere.
Photoshop has about every tool you could possibly need for editing and manipulating you a photo. The tools range from animations, spot healing, red eye tool, smart sharpen and many others. For instance the spot healing tool allows the editor to completely substitute an image out and replace it with background. An example could be a persons hand partially included in a family photo, you could simple use the spot healing tool and completely edit the hand out resulting in the desired photo.
How to Create one type opf abstract pieceEdit
This is just one form and since every form and piece is different, here we just provides techniques to create one type.
- Start with 300 DPI RGB page size in inches 9x10" ( the reason this size is suggested is because it is easier to get a frame this size.
- Insert pictures that you want to use for example a picture of a person playing a piano and picture of the beach in dawn.
- After inserting the picture you will notice that the picture is tiny on the screen. do not refrain from resizing the picture, Photoshop is good for retaining quality. However view at 100% so if you see the pixels and fuzzy boxes stop right there. Do not enlarge it any further. IT is okay if the picture looks a little bad because we will change and manipulate it so it does look good.
- Now place the picture of the beach in the background and place the piano on top.
- Select the piano picture go to Layers> Extract image.
- After extracting just the person and the piano place the piano on the bottom left corner of the image so you do not make the bottom of the piano visible. For it will look extracted. Hide the bottom of the piano picture.
- Go to image>adjust>contrast> increase the contrast drastically so you can just see the sharpened outlines of the picture..it will turn black and reddish. It is okay.
- Do the similar thing with the ocean picture.
- Go to Layers> flatten image
- No go to image> adjust > saturation
- Click on the colorize button in the bottom and change the hue to blue.
- Go to filters> pixelation> and median..increase the level to adjust to your preference.
- Print and Frame.