- monomer – a single subunit making up a long chain of identical repeating unity, called a polymer
- polymer – a long chain of repeating subunits (monomers)
- monosaccharide – the smallest subunit of carbohydrate (glucose, galactose, fructose)
- amino acid – the smallest subunit of a polypeptide; there are 20 different naturally occurring amino acids
- nucleotide – smallest subunit of DNA and RNA
- condensation reaction – a reaction releasing water molecules, forming larger molecules in the process (polymers) from monomers
- hydrolysis reaction – reaction using water to break down larger molecules into their smaller substitute not parts, breaking chemical bonds.