Speech-Language Pathology/Stuttering/Finding Help Paying for an Anti-Stuttering Device

Many states, including Texas, California, Massachusetts, Georgia, Wisconsin, North Carolina, and Arizona have special telephone equipment distribution programs that provide telephone-compatible anti-stuttering devices free to qualified residents. (See below.)

If you're unemployed and stutter, your state's vocational rehabilitation program will help get you a job, including paying for speech therapy and/or an anti-stuttering device. See the section Vocational Rehabilitation.

If you're employed, ask your employer to help pay for an anti-stuttering device.

If your employer were to say no, you could say that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires employers to pay for "reasonable accommodations" requested by employees with disabilities.

Some speech clinics will handle your insurance billing for anti-stuttering devices. The CPT/HCPCS procedure code for electronic anti-stuttering devices is E1399-NU. The diagnosis code for stuttering is 307.0.

Special Telephone Equipment Distribution ProgramsEdit

Most states have programs to help individuals with disabilities use telephones. States that DO NOT provide anti-stuttering telephone devices include:

  • Alabama (no program)
  • Colorado (hearing impaired only)
  • Idaho (hearing impaired only)
  • New Hampshire (independent living only)
  • New York (no program)
  • Ohio (no program)

Other states may provide anti-stuttering devices on a case-by-case basis. Find other state programs on the TEDPA website. In general, if a program's mandate includes speech-impaired individuals then the program might help stutterers. If a program's mandate is only for hearing-impaired individuals then the program doesn't help stutterers.

The following information may be inaccurate or out of date. Please check with your state's program.


  • Arizona Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (AzTEDP)
  • No income limit
  • Website: http://www.aztedp.org/
  • Telephone: (866) 223-3412 or (602) 264-6876



  • Georgia Telecommunications Equipment Distribution Program (GATEDP)
  • Income cannot exceed $36,208 for family of four
  • Website: http://www.gachi.org/gatedp/intro.htm
  • Telephone: (888) 297-9461 or (404) 297-9461


  • Maryland Accessible Telecommunications (MAT)
  • Individual must be on welfare (SSI, SSDI, TDAP or TCA) or a "hardship case"
  • Website: http://www.mdrelay.org/equipment.html
  • Telephone: (800) 552-7724



  • Telecommunications Access Program for Telephone (TAP for Telephone)
  • Missouri resident; Income cannot exceed $60,000
  • Website: http://at.mo.gov/tap.html
  • Call local Independent Living Centers (see website for telephone numbers)

North CarolinaEdit


  • Telecommunication Device Distribution Program
  • No website
  • Telephone: (866) 227-6810 (ext. 8728)
  • Address: Hiram G. Andrews Center
    Attention: R.D. Robinson, Program Manager
    727 Goucher Street
    Johnstown, PA 15905


  • Specialized Telecommunications Assistance Program (STAP)
  • No income limit
  • Website: http://www.dars.state.tx.us/dhhs/stap.shtml
  • Telephone: (512) 407-3250
  • Texas STAP provides a voucher worth up to $995. Only devices that plug into telephones are covered.


  • Telecommunications Equipment Purchase Program (TEPP)
  • No income limit.
  • Website: http://psc.wi.gov/consumerinfo/assistancePgms/tepp/tepp-ind.htm.
  • Telephone: (608) 231-3305
  • Wisconsin TEPP provides a voucher worth up to $1600. The consumer must send a $100 co-payment to the vendor. Only devices that plug into telephones are covered.