Since this class is hands-on, you will need to sign up for a couple of web sites. Required are a blog (not necessarily at blogger.com) and a wikibooks account, all others are optional. If you prefer, you can create an ’alter ego’ for this class and basically stay completely anonymous. In that case you should follow the setups as described below.
Important: You may NOT want to use your real name in any of the accounts below.
Setup a Yahoo Email AccountEdit
- Go to http://www.yahoo.com/ and click on the ’Sign Up’ icon (usually in the upper. Enter the information suggested.
- Make sure you go to settings and change them to your needs. You should notice that by default much of the information of your account is public.
Setup a Google AccountEdit
- Go to https://mail.google.com/ and click on ’CREATE AN ACCOUNT’. Enter the information suggested.
- Make sure you go to account settings and change them to your needs. You should notice that by default much of the information of your account is public.
Setup a Blog at BloggerEdit
- Go to the homepage of Blogger (http://www.blogger.com). Enter your Google email account and password. There are alternatives like blog.de and many more, which one you use does not really matter.
- The next page will show you your existing blogs (in case you have any) and allows you to create a new blog. For this class you may want to create a new blog. Remember the name, because the other students in class need to know your blog, so that they can write comments to your posts. In the next step you have to select a template, and you are ready to blog.
- My blog for this course is available at http://SocialWebOhm.blogspot.com.
Setup a Twitter AccountEdit
- First, go to https://twitter.com/. On the right you will find the SignUp area. Fill in your name, email and pick a decent password.
- Once you’re signed in, go to the help pages, go to Twitter Basics, and follow the Twitter Tour (https://support.twitter.com/groups/31-twitter-basics/topics/182-announcements-and-new-stuff/articles/20169519-twitter-tour-let-us-show-you-around).
- Also read the help article about ’How To Use Twitter Lists’.
- Now that you are setup, search for ’socialwebohm’ in the search box. Under people you should find me and a tweet related to the class. You can become a follower by clicking on my profile (image) and click on the ’Follow’ button.
Setup a Wikibooks AccountEdit
- For writing articles to the wikipedia or wikibooks (they use the same database), you can either make edits anonymously, your computer current IP-address is then used as your user name, or you can signup with wikipedia, which is the preferred way.
- Go to the main page of the English version of Wikibooks: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Main_Page. In the upper right corner, you can click on ’Log in / create account’ to create a new account. You may pick anything for your username.
- You can actually create your own ’homepage’ by simply clicking on your user name.
< previous next >