Scriptapedia/Uses, Misuses and Misunderstanding of GMB Scripts
Uses of ScriptsEdit
- To design a behavioral protocol for small group exercises in GMB workshops
- The protocols can then be compared to what actually happened as a way to assess fidelity.
- To use as a teaching tool in GMB
- To document what happened in a small group process
Misuses and Misunderstandings of Scripts (Hovmand et. al., 2011)Edit
- Practitioners following scripts mechanistically
- Response: Scripts are not a substitute for the non-specific effects of the “right attitude”
- Scripts are too reductionistic and take the art out of GMB
- Response 1: Reducing discretion is precisely the point; discretion and improvisation “cuts both ways”
- Response 2: There is still a lot of room for professional judgment and improvisation (going off script only makes sense if you have a script)
- Practitioners failing to adapt to local contexts, expectations, etc.
Hovmand, P., Rouwette, E. A. J. A., Andersen, D. F., Richardson, G. P., Calhoun, A., Rux, K., & Hower, T. (2011). Scriptapedia: a handbook of scripts for developing structured group model building sessions.