Reconstruction/Mold Treatment/Mold Treatment
Mold treatment is the process by which mold is removed and a structure is sanitized. There are a variety of methods that yield acceptable results that vary in required time and financial investment.
Mold treatment stepsEdit
- Turn off Electric, if damage, set up generators outside of home.
- Open windows, doors for airflow.
- Stay outside, and wait till utility company comes.
- Remove, everything that was wet from flood. Carpet, Bed, Electronics.
- Place pots and house products in places where mold would not be attracted.
- Remove mold growth on exposed framing using dry bristle brushing
- Reclean any remaining visible areas of growth
- Homes where studs are already fairly dry,use only the dry cleaning/HEPA vacuum
- Use a damp non-phosphate detergent and water.
- Starting at the ceiling, with sponge mops and hand sponges untill all is removed
- If wood does become saturated, allow it to dry completly before restarting
- Failure to allow surfaces to dry result in water damage (wood rot) or new mold growth.
- Hard surfaces that are in the house, should use a disinfectant to kill contaminants.
- Damp wipe all tubs, bath and kitchen, surfaces use a solution of 1 cup recon to 1 gallon of water. (Please note that bleach
will not kill the spores of the mold, and mold will be able to regrow)
- With a moisture meter, measure wood surfaces for moisture content
- moisture content should be less than 20%, for application of a borate solution.
- Wash or mist the wall with an borate solution using a paint brush or brush roller
- Continue to keep windows open, for at least 7days to let the house dry out
- Try to avoid future spreds of mold or debris to enter by, wearing proper equipment