Paleontology/What is Paleontology< Paleontology
The study of Palaeontology involves the study of fossils, their occurrence, how they became fossils, their relationship with other fossils and living species, ecological role etc. There are different areas of study to this field and many scientists specialize in one area and have a patchy knowledge of the other areas of study.
- Invertebrate paleontology
- Molecular Paleontology - the recovery of DNA from ancient human, animal, and plant remains.
- Paleoanthropology - Human evolution.
- Paleoautecology - the study of an individual fossil in relation to its habitat found in.
- Paleobotany - Plants.
- Paleoecology - Ecosystems.
- Paleosynecology - the study of fossil assemblages.
- Paleornithology - Aves.
- Ichnology - Study of tracks, burrows etc.
- Taphonomy - Study of process of dying and what processes occur to organisms after their death)
- Vertebrate paleontology