Thunderstorms are a common weather event in many parts of the world. While dangerous, with proper preparation and precautions, they can be easily handled.
Long Term edit
- Ensure your buildings have properly installed lightning rods, and ideally a complete lightning protection system.
- Be ready for strong winds associated with thunderstorms.
Just before a storm edit
- Unplug electronics prior to storm, especially if they are ungrounded.
- Bring any animals inside, and ensure they are calmed.
- If outside, seek shelter immediately inside a building or metal roofed car.
What to do edit
Stay inside if possible.
Stay away from windows and avoid touching plumbing and electrical or gas appliances for the duration of the storm.
Common Mistakes edit
Do not take shelter under a tree. While the tree will likely be a tall enough object to channel lightning, the resulting strike will likely harm anyone near the tree.