Monopoly/The Speed Die
Introduced in Monopoly: The Mega Edition in 2006 and added to the standard game the following year, the Speed Die is a special red (originally blue) die that speeds up the progression of the game when it is used. It is rolled alongside the other dice and has unique effects not seen with them.
Theoretically the Speed Die could be used with any Monopoly game, but this section will only focus on its use the standard game and the Mega Edition.
Using the Speed DieEdit
In standard Monopoly, a player may only start rolling the Speed Die once they have passed GO at least once. However, in the Mega Edition, the Speed Die is used from the start.
The Speed Die is not rolled during the initial roll to determine turn order or if you are attempting to roll out of Jail.
Like the normal dice, the Speed Die has six faces: three number faces showing the numbers one through three, two faces showing Mr. Monopoly, and a face showing a bus.
Effects of the FacesEdit
The effects of each of the Speed Die's faces are as follows:
- If the player rolls a number, that number is added to the total of the white dice.
- If the player rolls Mr. Monopoly, then they move according to the total of the white dice and take the appropriate action. Then, before they roll again or end their turn, they must advance to the next unowned property on the board from their position and buy or auction it.
- If all of the properties on the board have been purchased, then the player instead advances to the next opponent-owned property that is unmortgaged, and pays the appropriate rent.
- If all of the properties on the board have been purchased and all opponents' properties are mortgaged, then nothing happens after the white dice action is resolved.
- If the player rolls a bus, the actions they may take depend on the version of Monopoly being played:
- In standard Monopoly, the bus-rolling player is given three choices for their move: they may choose to move one of the individual numbers rolled on the white dice, or they have choose to move the total of both white dice. For example, if a player rolls a two, four and bus, they would be allowed to move two, four or six spaces.
- In The Mega Edition, the player moves according to the total of the white dice and take the appropriate action. Then, before they roll again or end their turn, they must choose to either draw a Bus Ticket card and keep it for later use, or advance to the next Chance or Community Chest space clockwise from their position and follow the instructions on the top card of the appropriate deck. The latter action will be defaulted to if no Bus Tickets remain.
If player rolls triples (the same number on all three dice), they are allowed to immediately move to any space on the board of their choosing, and take the appropriate action for that space, after which their turn ends. If the player passes GO in the process, they collect ₩200 as with a normal pass.
If a player rolls doubles twice and then rolls triples, they do not go to Jail.