Microsoft Office/Opening a Word File as Read Only< Microsoft Office
- Click on File -> Open...
- Select the Word file
- Click on the arrow on the "Open" button
- Click on "Open as read only"
Open a file as read only from Windows ExplorerEdit
- In Windows Explorer, click on Tools -> Folder options -> File types
- Select the file type "DOC"
- The buttons "Modify" and "Advanced" should appear (if the buttons "Modify" and "Restore" appear, you need to restore the default configuration)
- Click on "Advanced"
- Click on "New"
- In action, write
- In application used to perform action, write
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\WINWORD.EXE" %1 /h /n /dde(adapt the path to your installation folder)
- Check "Use DDE"
- In DDE message, write
[AppShow][REM _DDE_ReadWriteOnSave][FileOpen .Name="%1",.Revert=0,.ReadOnly=1]
- In DDE Application Not Running, empty the field
- In topic, write
- Click on "OK"
- Click on "OK" again
- Click on "Close"
Now, to open the file in read-only mode, right-click on the file and select Open (read-only)