Mechanics of Materials
Author(s): Aaron D. Mazzeo
This Wikibook is to provide living content for an undergraduate course in mechanics of materials or strength of materials. The material here will eventually be of sufficient quality and interest for self-learning or prescribed study by instructors/faculty members. One objective is that the material here would facilitate in-class discussions, group projects, or problem-solving that would leverage the instructors' expertise to enhance learning outcomes. Another objective is to facilitate students, instructors, professionals, and interested users adding/curating content to accommodate learning styles that might benefit from a spectrum of insights coming from learners and teachers with diverse backgrounds. The course will draw on material openly available with inspiration from key relevant texts. There is also a crowd-sourced mind map available (needs updating) on GitHub for this Wikibook on undergraduate mechanics of materials.
Chapters and Syllabus for Printable PDFEdit
- 3. Static Equilibrium
- 4. Axial Loading
- 5. Stress and Strain
- 6. Material Properties
- 8. Torsion
- 9. Beam Bending
- 10. Combined Loading
- 11. Failure Criteria for Static Loading
- Crandall, Stephen H.; Dahl, Norman C.; Lardner, Thomas J. (1999). An Introduction to the Mechanics of Solids (2nd ed.). McGraw-Hill.
- Eshbach, Ovid W., ed (1936). Handbook of Engineering Fundamentals. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Hibbeler, R. C. (2014). Mechanics of Materials. Prentice Hall.
- Norton, Robert L. (2014). Machine Design: An Integrated Approach (5th ed.). Prentice Hall.
- Ashby, Michael F.; Jones, David R. H. (1980). Engineering Materials 1: An Introduction to their Properties and Applications. International Series on Materials Science and Technology. Pergamon Press, Inc..
- Juvinall, Robert C.; Marshek, Kurt M. (2012). Fundamentals of Machine Component Design (5th ed.). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Fogiel, Max, ed (1999). The Handbook of Mechanical Engineering. Research & Education Association.
- Ucker, Jr., John J.; Pennock, Gordon R.; Shigley, Joseph E. (2017). Theory of Machines and Mechanisms (5th ed.). Oxford University Press.
- Shigley, Joseph Edward; Mitchell, Larry D. (1983). Mechanical Engineering Design (4th ed.). McGraw-Hill Book Company.