||Lock picking, or being in possession of lock picks, may be a crime in some countries. See Legal Status, below, for more information|
This how-to guide describes the techniques of lock picking.
Lock picking is an essential skill for a locksmith. It can also be an interesting skill to learn and can be useful to the householder. Lock picking is the ideal way of opening a lock without the correct key, while not damaging the lock, allowing it to be rekeyed for later use. This is especially important with antique locks that would be impossible to replace if destructive entry methods were used.
Usually it is possible to bypass a lock without picking it. Most common locks can be quickly and easily opened using a drill, bolt cutters, or a hydraulic jack. The hasp, door, or fixture they are attached to can be cut or broken. But lock picking is more rewarding than brute force.
- Deviant Ollam's Complete Lockpicking Guide - a great guide with detailed animations about lots of different methods of picking locks.
- Free Lock Picking Guide - a free lock picking guide for the hobbyist
- Greg Miller's Guide to Lock Picking for Beginners
- Guide to Modify Tip and Shoulder of Bump Key
- MIT Guide to Lock Picking (pdf format -- a bit outdated, sometimes not entirely accurate, but generally a good place to start)
- Guide to Lock Picking - lysator.liu.se
- Necessary Tools for Lock Picking
- The document which used to be called The MIT Lockpicking Guide by 'Ted the Tool'
- How to build a vibrating lock pick - inventgeek.com
- Bump Key HOWTO By Tyler Larson (Google Video)
- How Stuff Works - Lockpicking - A detailed article on lockpicking, the tools used, and pictures/interactive media to further explain lockpicking.
- How lock-picking works at Howstuffworks.com
- Matt Blaze's technique for deducting the master key given a change key
- forum.lockpicker.net - the forum of the Lockpicker Network
- Lockpicking 101 - a forum dedicated to the art of lockpicking
- EZPicking Forum - the independent voice of the lock sport community
- LockSport International
- The Open Organisation Of Lockpickers, Netherlands
- The Open Organisation Of Lockpickers, United States
- Lockpicking Club at the University of Texas
- Sportenthusiasts of Lockpicking - Germany
- Homemade picks This document contains a collection of homemade picks.
This document does not exist as at 16.06.2015