This purpose of this Wikibook is to provide an introduction to the mobile survey software suite called KoBo Toolbox (http://www.kobotoolbox.org/). Using the KoBo Toolbox, surveys for mobile Android devices, such as smartphones and tablets, can be created. The screenshot of the Android application shows a typical multiple-choice (single-select) question.
Although there are many mobile survey software suites, the KoBo Toolbox is particularly interesting for a number of reasons:
- open-source: free to use and change, fully transparent
- scalability: use multiple devices, aggregate results
- remote administration: results can be synchronized automatically
- robustness: works under difficult conditions, such as limited internet
The topics discussed in this Wikibook are listed below.
- Exporting the form to an Xform XML file
- Loading the XML file into the KoBo Collect Android app
- Filling out a survey
- Saving the results
- Exporting the results to a computer
- Aggregating the results to a CSV file
- Importing the CSV file into SPSS / PSPP
- Trigger questions
- Group questions